technology component of the Minto mapping project is a means for students
to record the past and the present with the most contemporary tools
at their disposal in the Minto School. Using technology, they can preserve
and share information about their lifestyle and cultural heritage with
people all over Alaska and the the rest of the world.
It is the intent of the technology component to teach
students to create interactive web pages to reflect information the
Elders feel is important to preserve their own society, both past and
present. As the project develops, it will grow into a continuous cultural
atlas. That is, a collection of information about a specific group of
people who live in an area.
- Students will learn to use the computer in general.
- Students will learn to use software such as:
- Word processing (Microsoft Word®, Appleworks®,
etc.) for authoring the stories
- Paint programs such as Adobe Photoshop® to
manipulate photographs and other art
- Web authoring programs such as Claris Home Page®
or Macromedia Dreamweaver® for creating their web pages
- Scanning to include art work and other important
- Video and audio digitizing software to import sound
and video clips to their web pages
- Students will need an ongoing computer class as part
of the school curriculum to learn and practice using specific programs
necessary to the web site project.
- Students will experience a correlation between their
past, present and future as they gather information and learn how
to put it all together using the current technology.
- Students will learn the editing process as they prepare
the stories, art, and other information for the website.
Technology Related School Goals
- Designate a qualified computer teacher who will create
a course for students to become proficient with software related to
creating interaction web pages.
- Upgrade computer lab to support current technology
involved in the project.
- Purchase software needed to equip the computer lab
so that students may be taught as a group, each working at their own
Specific Technology Tasks For Students
- How to create a web page.
- Introduction to HTML
- Using web authoring software to create web pages
- Good design of web pages
- How to prepare a photo or visual art for the web
- How to include sound and/or video on the web page
A2, A6, B5,
C13, D4, E1,
A3, A5, C2,
C56, D2, E13