THE COMMUNITY AND THE SCHOOL TOGETHER
- It is necessary for Elders to evaluate the knowledge
and traditional skills they would like young people to be taught -
both ideally and realistically.
Parents need to be involved in this process because their support
will help both the children and the Elders accomplish their goals.
- Teachers, parents of school age children and Elders
will meet and come to a consensus as to what they feel their children
need to be successful in their world today. Teachers, parents and
Elders need to have an active role in this process in order for it
to succeed. "It takes the whole village to raise a child."
- Students need to be aware that they have obligations
to their ancestors to carry knowledge to future generations. It is
their responsibility to learn that knowledge.
- All of these groups, the Elders, parents,
teachers and children need to work together to achieve these goals.
Planning the Field Trip
- Each camp should be planned before school is out
in the spring so everyone understands their obligations in the fall
when school starts.
- The planning committee should consist of school staff,
parents and Elders. In this session a decision needs to be made by
identifying who the participants will be.
- Identify the number of students that can participate
early enough so that they can be planning ahead and anticipate
- Make sure you have enough students committed
to make it worthwhile. It would be important to include the parents
in this commitment. It must be stressed that the student group
be composed of committed students whom Elders identify as being
competent cultural bearers. These students would need to be part
of the school computer class to enable them to record the data
and stories they will be collecting.
- It is essential that there is a teacher at the
school willing and able to teach technology that will carry on
this project and expand it as part of an assigned teacher load.
- Identify the places to visit and the length of
time to stay at each site.
- Identify what will need to be accomplished at
each site in a general sense and what physical features and historical
significance it presents so that everyone will know what to expect
B1, B3, C12, C4, D14, C6, E12, E5, E8
B23, B5, C13,
B12, C12, C4
E2, F1, F3
C12, C45, D13, E12, E4, F14