1. Give three factors that you can
control which will slow down your response time relative to those with
whom you are talking.
2. Describe the pathway of an electronic
mail message from sender to receiver. Name the major agencies
3. How many minutes of the evening news
broadcast on television are devoted to news, how many to advertising
and other activities?
4. Name three films which have pioneered
significant new film technologies.
5. Write a short letter in three
formats: 1) as a letter to the editor of your local newspaper,
2) as a letter to your Congressman in Washington, 3) as a letter to a
6. Describe the differences between
chain-and-network communication and hub-and-wheel communication.
Indicate the main advantages and disadvantages of each.
7. You are planning an event in your
community. How would you publicize it? Which media are the
most effective in terms of getting the desired results for the time
and money spent for the audience you are trying to address.
8. What percent of the words you hear or read
in a day are generated within your community?
9. What percent of the words you speak or
write in a week are generated for your community?
10. What percent of the words you speak,
write, hear, or read are in a language other than English?
11. If you have something you want your
grandchildren to know and pass on to their grandchildren, how would
you communicate it to them?
12. Describe the path of a news story from its
origin to your home?
13. Describe the path of a story you originate
to its publication in a magazine.
14. You need to find out about something from
an elder. What pattern would you use to facilitate communicatio?
15. Identify five stages of the writing
16. Trace the pathway of a book from research
to reading. Identify the major institutions or agencies involved
along the way.
17. Describe the configuration of expectations
and behaviors that will allow you to present yourself best in a job
18. Give three strategies you can use to slow
down someone who is speaking to you without generating a sense of
hostility in the process.
19. You are organizing a meeting of parents,
teachers, and students. Discuss five factors that you would
alter to make it easier for all to listen to the point of view of the
students. Now do the same thing to make it easier for all to
listen to the point of view of the teacher. Do the same for